AFRISA Makerere University -Kyamate campus.
South Ankole Diocesan in partnership with the College of Veterinary Medicine Animal Resources and Biosecurity ACOVAB Makerere University has opened up a regional study Center in south western Uganda at Kyamate hill in Ntungamo and an MoU was signed recently and the studies are to start officially in August 2015.
AFRISA is Africa Institute for Strategic Animal Resource Services and Development. It was established by Makerere University Council in March 2010 as a Joint Mak – GoU Autonomous and not-For Profit Agency, an Innovation to advance industrial and development education in Africa and is located in the College of Veterinary Medicine Animal Recourses and Biosecurity (COVAB). AFRISA functions as a platform for advancing societal transformation and National development using strategic resources, Science, Technology and Innovation (STI) through the Academic-Community-Public-Private Partnership (ACP3) engagements in Uganda and beyond.
ture that has been nurtured to operate profitably.
12) Graduate a youth with a business venture already, employable skills, and worth paper qualification
13) Graduate a youth who is already an employer. Each graduate enterprise employing a few additional people
14) Graduate certified producers and entrepreneurs in target local governments as credit worth and sustainable SACCO members.
15) Anchor education directly into Production, Industry and Business and translate Education, Science and Technology into livelihoods
16) Provide a National Institutional Framework for Mass enrolment, implementing skilling Uganda, human capital development and community extension; and mass training of entrepreneurs, and commercialization of agriculture, animal industries and fisheries
17) Provide a national mechanism for mass export of agricultural education (Currently doing this in Liberia with the funding from Land O Lakes and Somaliland with help of FAO)
18) Provide a national mechanism for formation of credible credit-worthy SACCOs and young entrepreneurs groups
19) Provide a national mechanism for establishing targeted nucleus model farms, enterprises and firms in every district, as role models.
We aim to equip a generation of people to face the extraordinary challenges of this century and centuries to come; Unemployment, Income insecurity | Poverty, Food insecurity, Shrinking land and water resources etc. We particularly target the young people, and creating Employment, nurturing Value addition, Enterprises development and improved Production systems is our inherent passion.
AFRISA is powered by innovative partnerships for positive societal change. The AFRISA approach is a fundamental paradigm shift from the classical “Ivory Tower” model to the ACP3 model of Human Capital development and societal transformation, with transformative skills, science, technology and innovation as primary pillars. AFRISA there is positioned as is a 21st century premier design for taking Universities to the communities in Africa. This initiative offers a temperate of how to bridge gaps between Universities, Communities, the Public and Private Sectors to guide the future while solving real societal problems.
Whereas the Higher Education and training focus on academic Disciplines, AFRISA training and interventions are focused on the commodity value chain of Animal and bio-molecular resources and various programs have been written to cover the following industries and value chains: Interested people can undertake degree, diploma, ordinary certificate and Artisan certificate in any of the following commodity value chains.
- Dairy Industry and Business
- Meat Industry and Business
- Bee Industry and Business
- Pig Industry and Business
- Leather Industry and Business
- Pet and Recreational Animal Industry and Business
- Poultry Industry and Business
- Fish Industry and Business
- Feed Industry and Business
- Wildlife Industry and Business
- Lab Science Education, Industrial Technology and business
Other programs like Natural products Industry and business, Mushroom, Green house farming etc.
The vision of AFRISA is Healthier and Wealthier Communities in Africa and is committed to developing a generation of young entrepreneurs and job makers who will transform the agriculture landscape of Africa.
It is governed by an independent Board of Directors appointed by the University Council. The Board of Directors membership is specially constituted to reflect the ACP3 initiative and it comprises several stakeholder organizations, Government Ministries, Universities and distinguished individuals.
Currently, AFRISA is operating in the project mode. The Founding Director/Director of AFRISA Innovations is the Principal Investigator (PI) and the accounting officer. The day-today activities are managed by a fully constituted Secretariat Headed by Head Secretariat who doubles as Director Programs leading a team of highly motivated professional and development cadres and support staff all on volunteer basis. The College of Veterinary Medicine, Animal Resources and Bio-security (COVAB) houses the Institute and is the lead Academic Partner at the AFRISA platform. Other Academic units within the University come in to give professional input and expertise as and when required by the program being implemented. AFRISA does not get regular budget support from the University. The Programs implemented are funded by partners on the platform.
Autonomous in operations, AFRISA spearheads innovations and implementation of the unique training model of the Industrial and Development Higher Education branded AFRISA-SPEDA model. This AFRISA SPEDA model blends Entrepreneurship, Vocational, Intellectual and Managerial competences in our flagship program; Skills, production, Enterprises Development and Academic Growth. AFRISA-SPEDA model is a hybrid form of Transformative Education, Human Capital Development and Extension System for driving Wealth Production and Consumption of goods and services. With the AFRISA-SPEDA Model we:
10) Graduate a Certified Producer and Entrepreneur at Artisan Skills Certificate level, Ordinary Certificate level, Diploma level or Degree levels.